September 19, 2012

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller

Also posted on Goodreads:

I absolutely loved this post-apocalyptic novel, which is apparently a classic that I'd never heard of. The book's got it all: apocalypses, Catholic monks, re-developing civilizations, religion vs science, religion working with science (even better!), and multiple characters with more than one head. I feel slightly cheated that I wasted time reading drivel like The Road while Canticle was waiting to be discovered.

Although Miller writes with plenty of dry humour, it's a dark story and a heavy, occasionally plodding read. The theme of cyclic history is both amusing and haunting when it's not being terribly depressing. The characters come and go without too much fuss (I half suspect this is done on purpose, a statement of the monk's light grasp on this world and focus on the world to come).

I found it satisfying that Miller commits the secular heresy of suggesting that the Catholic Church would not only outlive modern science and the fall of civilization, but would protect and foster their redevelopment. When the "Christians/Catholics hate science" narrative is still way too strongly preached in many areas, it's refreshing to hear it so beautifully refuted.

Quick note: I usually link my blog posts to Facebook, but since the review's cross-posted on Goodreads and (I'm pretty sure) shared on Facebook, nobody wants multiple newsfeed items every time I finish a book.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! One of my favorites. Another sci-fi/distopian classic you might not have heard of: The Dispossesed by Ursula K. LeGuin.

    Also, really enjoyed all your other recent posts about Seattle. It's not for everyone, but big city living can be awesome if you focus on feeding the extroverted sided of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll have to check out The Dispossesed. LeGuin tends to be hit and miss for me, but the hits are totally worth a few misses!

    ReplyDelete